Welcome to Moped Luau!!

Aloha!! Welcome to Moped Luau!! A blog devoted to Two-Stroke mopeds and scooters. On da menu: Puch mopeds with side order Hondas, Vespas, Yamahas, and whatevah else that go braaaaap. Get some grindz and feed your Two-Stroke face.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

A Brief History Of Hawaii's Moped Scene

This is a brief history of Hawaii's moped scene told through my personal recollections, experiences, and stories throughout the years.  This post's perspective is bias towards Puch mopeds because that was the model I grew up with.

Back in the early 80's, Puch mopeds ruled the streets of Hawaii.  Puch riders used a lot of ingenuity to make their mopeds fast.  They would modify them by boring, porting, polishing, cutting, d-restricting, and re-gearing stock parts to gain as much speed out of them.  At least 50mph with just 49cc magnum bore cylinder with L-ring piston setup.  If they were running big bore kits, the only ones available were the 65cc Zeta or the 70cc Autista.  (Check out some pics from GotRigid?'s site of a Puch cruise back then.)  The Puch moped's closest competition was the Tracs, Tomos, and the Honda Express*.  (*A popular choice among neighborhood paperboys who for some reason always had the fastest bikes!!).



Old school modified Puch Maxi - ZA50, L-ring piston, 49cc magnum bore, Bing 17 carb, bored out stock pipe, 18x32 gears

In the late 80's and throughout the 90's, Honda scooters started to take over the scene.  Scooters like the Aero 50, Spree, and the ever-popular Elite were the new choice for paperboys.  These scooters were easier to maintain than the Puch and aftermarket parts were easily available.  Modifying these mopeds were as easy as slapping on a big bore cylinder kit and aftermarket exhaust (Check out Wikispreedia for more in-depth information on Honda scooters).  As a result, the interest for the Puch faded.  No new Puch models were in production and spare NOS (New Old Stock) parts became a rarity.  I remember "The Moped Connection" on Kapahulu was the only shop that sold NOS parts on the island.  It was too unpractical to ride a Puch than their Honda counterparts.  Consequently, the Puch moped started to disappear as the generation who rode these them in the early 80's grew older and retired from the scene.  A lot of their mopeds also retired to either to the junkyard or their parent's storage sheds.  Only a handful of us remained loyal to the Puch as we rode around town on our Hondas.

Aiealien's Scotty's nasty Honda Elite

Just how I left it over 10 years ago!!
The turn of the century brought with it the advent of the Internet and the availability of Puch parts online.  Parts that I thought impossible to get or out of production were now just a click and PayPal payment away.  One of my first purchases was a Bing 17mm carburetor and 70cc Arisal kit from the now debunked puch.net and NOS parts superstore The Moped Junkyard.  This new discovery brought back a renewed hope of possibilities for the bikes I was so loyal to.  As I researched for parts online, I found websites selling parts that I never seen before and from as far away as Netherlands (shout out to Marcel at 50cc.nl).  My pursuit for online parts led me to realize that there was an "army" of people sharing my devotion to nostalgic mopeds.  I found the Moped Army community who convinced me to get that old "ped" out of my parents shed and start tuning again!!  Hondas still ruled the streets but I had a feeling that nostalgic mopeds were going to make a comeback.


Another Aiealien winnah
Presently, Hawaii's moped scene is dominated by scooters like Dios, Jogs, DD50s, Arandas, and everything in between (Check out this site on info on the current moped scene).  It's not uncommon to spot a "souped up" scooter buzzing around or a whole fleet of them on their monthly cruise.  There are also a number of scooter shops on the island that sell a variety of aftermarket parts for all these types of bikes.  With ample amounts of big bore kits, exhaust pipes, clutches, and pulleys, it's not surprising to come across an occasional scooter on the freeway going over 60mph next to you!!  But don't count out the Puch moped.  They along with other nostalgic mopeds are still around.  Parts are still not available locally but are readily available online at sites like Treatshq and 1977 Mopeds.  They have a number of aftermarket and NOS parts to chose from.  Us "old schoolers" now have a new generation of parts to tune our bikes with and will continue to keep that old school vibe alive.

That's my brief history of Hawaii's moped scene.  From its humble beginnings with the Puch moped to the present day Hondas, Yamahas, SYMs, and everything in between, Hawaii has always had a vibrant moped scene.  Whether it be a modern scooter or nostalgic moped, the "808 State" continue to represent the entire gambit of two-stroke bikes out there.  But no matter which moped group you belong to, let's keep tuning and riding like only we know how, with "Aloha".


Spreading the Aloha at "the land of the raising sun" Japan



15 comments:

  1. Thank You for this! My name is Kaipo I'm 30yrs old and I just purchased a rusty 1977 Puch Maxi and started my Puch project. I've owned Dio mopeds before all performance parts equipped but when I laid my eyes on a modified Puch I fell in love. I'm looking for some good braddahs who share the same interest who live in Honolulu.I feel like I'm the only one on the island that's into Puch or vintage peds lol! Thank You Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it!! Yup, I feel the same way about feeling alone but get some braddahs and sistahs out there fixing Puchs and waiting for a reason to bust them out. Look at braddah Lance building that cherry show bike right now!! Let me know if you like ride with some Puch guys and I can try hook you up. Even from Japan!! Keep the Puchs alive!! Shoots...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your history write up... it brings back memories. I used to deliver paper in Manoa back around the early nineties and remember envying this one older guy who had a Puch. I always wanted one but I moved out of state and forgot about it. Now that I'm older and back in Hawaii I'm trying to find one. If you know anyone selling let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoot me an email and I can try hook you up with guys in Hawaii with Puchs. Keep the scene alive!!

      Delete
  4. Oh man. I remember cutting springs in the forks. Covering the carb to see if I'm getting to much air. Hack sawing fenders to get that rocket look. Mags or spokes...which one? Those were them days. I recently been looking around to see if there are any on craigslist for sale. Hard to come by. I wanna try to get a running bike and get a slow tweak to my liking going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you looking for a Puch, check out Minnow Motorworks in Lana Lane Studios in Kakaako. He go some bikes and choke parts for sale. Click on the link for information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And interesting article indeed. Little added history; my fathers shop, Yamaha of hawaii which he started in the early 50s and sold motorcycles & the early type of scooters back then was the first importer of Puch mopeds to the islands. He distributed them to other shops as well. Being that my mother is from Austria, and when I was born our family went back for a year to Austria and that's where he made contact with Puchs. We had loads of new ones at our shop in the early 80s and I remember riding them as the first mopeds I could when I was a kid. My first moped I owned was when I was 13 in Austria for a year on my aunts farm. From then on the rest is history, 32 years later non stop still into mopeds. It's amazing to see how the industry has changed, grown & evolved! I have seen it here and in my travels around the world. Hawaii has a very small moped/ scooter percentage & community compared to most places. But we do have a very well known one!
    Mahalo for sharing this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading George. Awesome history about Puch even before my time!! With this Blog, I'm trying to archive Hawaii's past, present, and future for all things Puch.

      Delete
  7. Howzit, Awesome sight and stories. Happy to see Puches still flying around Oahu.I grew up in Manoa Valley and was part of the Puch crew that terrorized the valley in the 80’s. I was once clocked going 78 mph down Manoa road and I am proud to say was the slowest in the group. I had a white LTD with a 2 sp. 18/30 gears and a striped down Maxi running a 1 sp 18/36 gears and numerous bikes to count. I specialized in modding 2 speed clutches to stall and shift hard w@ about 45mph. We tweaked our bikes racing each other using only Magnum parts with the exception of L-ring pistons. We would travel Island wide looking for the fastest Puches in the Island to organize races and @ the time we rarely lost.This was before bore kits from Europe were available for purchase. The Mechanics @ City Bike on Cooke St. Built a full race 2 sp Puch Murray and a 1 sp Rigid N frame Maxi.Unknowing to us that they were concealing the 65cc kit that only they were able to import. Eventually to their disbelief we beat the 2sp Murray and kept up with the Rigid. My 2 buddies raced the only other 2 Rigid N frames known on the Island other than the 1 own by the mechanic from CB who lived in Kailua.We also built Trials dirtped Puches that we would ride down from Tantalus into Manoa falls trails @ night. Sad to say my Puch days ended in 92 after my 50mph Magnum LTD was stolen on Date St. In the mid 90’s I refurbished Yamaha Razzes & sold them @ UH to fund my 78 Elite project. I am proud to say that I ran a crazy fast Dio motor built by my buddy Tony Young may he R.I.P. I sold My Elite after flipping over in my driveway several times and crashing it on Date St. I moved to Nanakuli in 95. and I’ve tinkered with several Chinese and Korean mopeds here in Nanakuli before becoming disabled in 2013. I am so blessed to have grown up tweaking mopeds and they have a special place in my soul. I’m blown away by the Rukus craze and the evolution of scooter racing.
    Mahalo for keeping the Island Puch torch burning! Noly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome post Nolan. This is what I'm talking about. Stories from back in the day. Everyone please keep sharing stories!! We all getting old and these value tips and tricks going disappear forever. Puch forever!!

      Delete
  8. HOWSIT! Just bought a 77 maxi, have a honda ct70, ct90, z50, all running and two of them street legal from early 70's. I never did work on PUCH's however and I am running into a wall with this one, runs for a few minutes, then dies and wont start up again until I leave it for a few hours. Does anyone on here offer service or run a shop (or even just in their own garage)... im ready to seek some real help and get this thing up and riding! let me know if anyone can help out, love to get this thing going. aloha.
    Anthony..

    285-6643

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anthony, Check out Moped Army first. Link is on the right. Great resource to troubleshoot your bike. Post a question and someone will have the knowledge. I'll give you a call soon too. A little short of time at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lau,
    Is the site www.project76puch.com not working anymore??
    Kind regards Chris Snijder
    www.puchshop.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. He stopped his site years ago. He might still have his bikes.

      Delete
    2. Came here by Google. Just looking for history details of my past. I’m trying to remember the name of one of the first (if not the first) importers of mopeds to Oahu. Mopeds Hawaii or something akin comes vaguely to mind? Anyway, the owners name was Glen Anderson. I had the privilege of dating his daughter for awhile. Great family! And can you believe I never rode his mopeds? I know lolo yeah? He prospered for several years in the late 70’s early 80’s and I figure he sold his business.
      Does anyone here recall the name of the company? Just trying to fill holes in my aging memory. Mahalo for any info and ride on!

      Delete

Please comment